Student visa (500 Visa)

Student visa (500 Visa)

Book Consultation

Consultations can be made via Video or Face to Face.

Student visa (500 Visa)

What is the Student visa 500?

The Student visa (subclass 500) allows you to remain in Australia for up to 5 years for the purpose of full-time study at an educational institution, in line with your enrolment.

With this visa you can:

  • take part in an eligible course of study
  • include your family members in your application (your partner or you and your partner’s dependent child.
  • apply online in or outside Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2-week period once your course starts.

Sometimes the application process for this visa can be confusing, so if you’re looking to get the best chance for a successful application, hit the link below to book in for a free consultation with one of our multilingual agents.

Subclass 500 visa checklist

What are the eligibility criteria for the Student visa 500?

  • you must be 6 years or older
  • provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) at a full-time course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and courses for Overseas Students, CRICOS
  • show evidence of your English language skills
  • you and your family members must be covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) from an approved Australian health insurance provider for the length of your stay in Australia
  • If you’re under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia
  • meet health and character requirements
  • have enough money for your stay

What is the process for applying for a Student visa 500?

  • if you’re outside Australia, apply for your visa at least 6 weeks before your course begins.
  • If you’re in Australia, allow plenty of time before your current visa expires as you may need more time in the event of any complications.
  • Use the Document Checklist Tool and gather your documents. Ensure you have the most current list as the Document Checklist tool is updated twice a year on 31 March and 30 September.
  • Apply for this visa online in or outside of Australia.
  • Create or log in to Immi Account, attach documents and pay the vis application charge.

What is the Document Checklist Tool?

The checklist gives you an idea of the documents you will need to lodge with your application. Enter your country of passport and education provider to get an accurate document checklist. If you haven’t decided on your education provider, you can leave the field blank or select ‘My provider is not listed’.

If proof of English and financial capacity are required at this stage, please ensure they are attached before you submit your application.

What is the processing time for the Student visa 500?

Processing times can vary based on which sector you’re applying for. Take a look at the processing time for other sectors.

Can I include anyone else in my application?

Yes, you may include family members for student visas. They include:

  • your partner or
  • your or your partner’s dependent child who is unmarried and has not turned 18 years old.

Do I declare my family member in my student visa application even if they don’t travel to Australia with me?

You must declare your family members in your application even if they don’t have any plans to travel with you to Australia.

If you don’t declare them and they need to join you in Australia later, you’ll need to apply for a new student visa including them and clarify why they weren’t included in your earlier application. This is exempt if they became your family member after your student visa was granted and before a subsequent application is made.