Relationship register for partners

Relationship register for partners

Book Consultation

Consultations can be made via Video or Face to Face.

Relationship register for partners

To apply for a partner visa on de facto grounds you, you would generally need to show you have lived with your partner for 12 months. The 12-month cohabitation requirement also applies when including a spouse for the following types of visas:

  • Permanent visas
  • Business Skills (Provisional)
  • Student visas
  • Partner visas
  • General Skilled
  • Migration visas


However, you would need to show that you are living together but not necessarily for 12 months. Registration provides legal recognition as a couple under the state law and as well as being beneficial for immigration purposes. Usual requirements include:

Both partners must be 18 years old or over, must not be in a relationship as a couple with another person – they must not be married, must not be related by family, and same sex and different sex couples can register their relationship.

Partner Visa Assessment:
Registration is available in NSW, QLD, Victoria, the ACT and Tasmania and the main requirements are listed below for these states.

NSW – NSW residents can register via Registry of Death Birth and Marriages. At least one partner must live in NSW. It will take 28 days to receive your certificate after you have registered your relationship.

Victoria – Relationships are registered through Births Deaths and Marriages Victoria. Persons who are in a registrable domestic relationship or a registrable caring relationship may apply to the Registrar,

QLD – At least one partner must have lived in Queensland for at least 6 months, and you must provide evidence of this.

Tasmania – You can apply by post or in person with the Tasmania Department of Justice. It will take 28 days to receive your registration certificate. Both partners must be residents of Tasmania.