Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)

Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)

Book Consultation

Consultations can be made via Video or Face to Face.

Contributory Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 173)


This visa lets parents of a settled Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen live in Australia temporarily. If you are granted this visa and want to stay in Australia permanently, you can then apply for a Contributory Parent visa (subclass 143).

Applying for this temporary subclass 173 visa before the permanent subclass 143 visa lets you spread the costs of your migration over several years.

​You must have a child who is an Australian citizen, permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen. At least half of your children must live in Australia or more of your children live in Australia than any other country.

You must be sponsored. Usually, this will be your child who must be:
18 years old or older, a settled Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident, or eligible New Zealand citizen. A sponsor can sponsor more than one parent for this visa.